Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Where Was God During The Tornado?

Let me post this disclaimer first: It's easy for me to post this when I am over 100 miles away from the path of destruction that took place in OKC yesterday. If I was walking around with no home, one of my children were dead, and maybe both.. It would be much much harder. That's where the true test comes, and I am not convinced I would pass with flying colors.



The years of our life are seventy, or even by reason of strength eighty; yet their span is but toil and trouble; they are soon gone, and we fly away. -- Psalm 90:10

Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him -- Job13:15

Yesterday a massive tornado struck Moore, Oklahoma. A suburb of Oklahoma City. I live in Wichita, KS. Sunday afternoon myself, my fiance and my future step-daughter huddled in the bathtub as a potentially lethal tornado started to form in SW Wichita but then lifted just as quickly. When you are in shelter like that, you don't know what is happening outside. You have no idea if a major tornado is forming or if it's all clear. So you pray just the same as if your life may be in danger.

So the question is.. Where is God when unspeakable tragedy happens?

The answer is simple yet complicated. God is right where we ask Him to be.

If I am walking with Him daily, praying, reading, studying, communing then God is going to be right there with me. He may decide to save us from destruction. He may have decided that it's our time to go. If it's our time He will hold our hand and be there with us, comforting us and bringing peace until we wake up with Him in Glory. If we are mangled in the hospital and have major injuries.. HE will bring the strength to carry on. If we lose a spouse or, God-forbid, a child.. HE will give us the strength to carry on, somehow, someway. Only He can give that kind of provision. FEMA, Obama, television, wealth, doctors... all these things will ultimately fall short on their own unless God uses them as a tool of his Mercy. We asked Him to be there, He is there.

However, IF we spend our days praising the world, loving the world, living like God is an afterthought or even, like we see so often, living as a proud and loud atheist. Then God will be exactly where we asked Him to be, even as we cry out in the midst of the destruction. It does not mean that God will not save us, it simply means that it will only be by His mercy alone. Also, it doesn't mean that you cannot be saved in the midst of the problem. Many people turn to God during tragedy, they are forever changed when their lives are disrupted in such a manner and turn to Him and are saved. But, it doesn't mean you can live like hell until you need God like sending out the Bat Signal and expecting Him to show up.

We are appointed a time to live and a time to die. None of us have any idea when are time is up. Turn to Him now. He loves all of us and does not want any of us to perish. The Bible confirms this time and time again. Stop calling to Him only when you need a favor. Don't wait until it's too late. 

I hope you find comfort in this and not condemnation. God, for me, is a beacon of hope. I know that I will meet the same end as everyone else. But I can look at death and smile, because I know it has no ultimate power over me.



“Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?”
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. -- 1 Corinthians 15:55-57


If anyone has any questions or comments.. Please leave them below.

No comments: