Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Leaving Facebook For Good

I am done with Facebook for good on July 27th, 2013. It might seem strange that I would pick a day next year to unplug from the social network. Well, it happens to be the day I am getting married.

Before I even met my beautiful fiancée I had made a vow to myself and God that I would get off of Facebook and concentrate solely on this blog and twitter. All the more now, because I will have a wife, but I will also have a 7 year old Step-daughter, and God help me if I don't pass along the example that my incredible parents gave to me. It was a gift that I can give back.
So why Facebook? Over a third of all divorce papers contain the word Facebook according to a recent study. From the article:
 Three years ago, 20 percent of divorce filings contained the word "Facebook." By 2011, it had risen to 33 percent, according to AAML. Despite the increase, the top Facebook mentions were the same: inappropriate messages to "friends" of the opposite sex, and cruel posts or comments between separated spouses. Sometimes, Facebook friends would tattle to one partner in a relationship about bad behavior by the other.
None of this surprises Ilana Gershon, an Indiana University professor and author of "The Breakup 2.0: Disconnecting Over New Media." For her book, Gershon interviewed 72 people from their late teens to their late 50s to discuss the role social media played in their breakups.
"It turns out a lot of my interviews revolved around Facebook," she told ABC News. "I feel quite thrilled when I get a Skype breakup or a text message story instead. Finally not Facebook," she joked.

I will not have my marriage end in a divorce. I did not wait until I was 34 only to turn around and become just another statistic. So, in order to have a healthy marriage and be able to eventually become one of those cute older couples you see at the park or the movies, what do you have to do?

1. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.  Matthew 6:33

2. Love your wife like Christ loves His church.

3. Remove all distractions that invite trouble. You can say to yourself, oh I would never flirt with anyone on Facebook or on MSN chat... It doesn't matter. Neither would I. But, you don't go looking for trouble, trouble is looking for you.. and it will find you. Marriage is about putting away the single life and embracing life together. If you remove the bumps in the road beforehand.. You give yourself much more of a fighting chance. I'm not asking my wife to remove her Facebook account. This is a personal decision that I have made.

I want to sacrifice.. It's the only thing that makes me really feel alive. I want to change more than just my status on July 27th, 2013.

No comments: