Sunday, December 11, 2011

Why I Am A Christian

(rerun)
1. The main reason I am a Christian is because Christ chose me to be His follower. The faith in my heart to believe in Him as savior comes from His pursuit of my life. Even though I choose to follow Him, He chose me first.

2. Grace. I can think of no other god who gives grace like Christ. Most other faiths involve trying to be good in order to gain favor. I couldn't possibly be good enough to gain anything from Him, I live only by His grace.

3. The stars. Have you ever laid down in a field outside the city lights and looked up into the sky? You can see God if you do, I promise. It will take your breath away. And then you stop to think that out there is endless space. We can't find the end of it. In fact all we see with our best telescopes are billions of galaxies that each have billions of stars in them. I can't even begin to fathom that. Even harder for me to fathom is how someone can look at that and see an accident.

4. The Bible. The past few years I have rediscovered the Bible. God didn't just leave us His Word, He left us a masterpiece. It is history, geography, songs, poems, guidance, prophecy, truth, and some of the greatest true stories ever written down. The Old Testament alone is better than any novel. The New Testament is the best icing on the cake I've ever tasted.

5. Church. Everyone loves to hate on church. In fact the new Christian movement is to try to make church feel like you are at a coffee shop. They disguise it to try to become like the world. But I go to church to step out of the world, if not only for a couple of hours. Church to me is home. And even though I miss a few Sundays here and there, I will never stop going. It's the start and finish to my week, it's where I worship, it's where my family and friends are.

6. Suffering. Joel Osteen wants you to have your best life now. However Christ is waiting to reward you with your greatest life later. Now is the time where we are invited, as a gift, yes I said gift, to suffer with Him so that we can show the world that even in our suffering the Lord is still first in our life. Too many Christians fall into the trap of believing that they somehow get a pass on hardship because they got on God's good side by believing in Him. When in fact He will put you through the fire, sometimes even worse, once you become a believer. If for a second you start to believe that being a Christian means you will live a rich, happy, fun, healthy good life.. please see Paul, Peter, Stephen, and John the Baptist and there you will find the answer. But remember to take heart, because in your suffering as a Christian you will find unspeakable joy and the peace that passes understanding.

7. The alternative is unlivable. If outspoken atheists like Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins are right then the only question I have is why haven't we all committed mass suicide. There is nothing, we are nothing, we pass into nothing. Keep in mind if that is true, then Hitler didn't really do anything. Klebold and Harris didn't do anything. Pol Pot didn't do anything. If we start out as nothing, and we end up as nothing, then you cannot say that for some reason the in between is something.
The God of the Bible IS the answer to why we are here, who we are, and where we are going. I am a Christian because I am something. And I am something because He made me that way. It's so simple that Dawkins and Hitchens wrote it off and inserted themselves as their own god. And what a lousy god at that.
We serve a great God. He was, He is, and He will be!

No comments: