Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, and Marvin Gaye

Three of my soul music heroes all died young, and tragically. Sam Cooke who is a legend in my book, if not THE legend. Died December 11, 1964 in a senseless shooting over a misunderstanding. I think it's kind of sad, most young people today have never heard the name Sam Cooke even though he singlehandedly changed the way music sounds. His influence echoes throughtout the world of music even today.


Three years later, almost to the day of Sam Cooke's death, Otis Redding was killed along with almost his entire band The Bar-Kays when their Beachcraft 16 crashed in Madison, Wisconsin. After his death a song came out that would forever seal his name as a legend, "(Sittin'On) The Dock Of The Bay". However Redding's best soul music had come the years leading up to his death. Here is one of my all time favorites, "Pain In My Heart."

Another huge tragedy occurred twenty years after the death of Sam Cooke. It was the early and sad death of Marvin Gaye. On April 1, 1984, Gaye's father fatally shot him after an argument that started after his parents squabbled over misplaced business documents. Marvin Gaye is a huge legend in my book. His voice is unmatchable before or since. A perfect example of that is this video where they took out the instrument track and left just Marvin Gaye singing "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" A Capella. It's incredible.


If you only listen to "new" music. Just know that most of what comes out these days is crap, and the stuff that isn't crap is only good because of trailblazers like these three legends. If they were alive today music would not be the same.

4 comments:

DMH@DMU said...

Otis Redding and Sam Cooke are two of my absolute favourites, and I'm 21. Don't worry, there's still some of us that listen to the greats! =]

Dee said...

I'm only 18 and i LOVE Sam Cooke,i know he was way before my time but I can't find anyone else from back in the days that makes me feel the way i do when i hear Sam's voice
The song i can relate to the most is Somebody's Gonna miss me

yonirox90 said...

im 15 and i listen to all these guys, though i think otis redding is uncomparable

Jeyn said...

I'm 20 and my favorite is Stevie Wonder. I also love Sam Cooke and Marvin Gaye. They are such great musicians, I just feel sorry for most of my peers.