Friday, April 24, 2009

I Don't Want To Ever Be Wealthy


The world, the rock stars, the rappers, Obama, the democrats, the republicans, and even most of the Christians ...are all telling you that you can and should have it all. Money is the answer. If you could just make enough to secure that retirement and live comfortably on the beach then you'd be happy. Some of us even say to ourselves that if only we had a little more than we'd be able to be more generous to charities or to church.
But here's the truth.. If you aren't generous when you have a little, you will be even less generous when you have a lot. Becoming wealthy does not make you generous. Generosity is a attribute that we must have as a lifestyle.. it doesn't come as a free gift along with your money.

I have no desire to be wealthy. I have read my Bible and I know that Jesus said it is harder for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven.. And as John Piper points out.. a camel CAN'T pass through the eye of the needle.

I want to suffer NOW, not later! Don't think it strange either because the Lord promises us we will suffer in this life. And I feel a little guilty doing that anyway because truth be told I find joy in the struggle. I find it a miracle to see how God gets me through some really rough times. If I obtain wealth then I start to believe that I have done it myself. And I know for a fact that without Christ I am a failure that is to be pitied. But because of Him I am headed for excellence.

So world, you can have your wealth. Mine is coming later. The big difference is that my treasure is going to have quite a bit longer shelf life.

I don't want to be wealthy. I don't want to store it up. Tell Obama to keep his bailout.

1 comment:

Matthew Avitabile said...

money makes everyone happy. just ask mr. potter