Thursday, August 16, 2007

True Stories*

Pt 1.
It was a blistery winter throughout the Midwest in 1985. I was only 7 years old but I already had dreams as big as the stars. I was going to be the next CEO of the Wichita Oil Co. This company did not exist yet, at least not beyond my imagination. But my business plan was in it's final stages, and the finances were in place. I had even built the facilities with Legos and Lincoln Logs. Some would say that 7 is too young for a boy to dream of owning a wealthy oil dynasty. But there is an innocence in a boy's mind that has the ability to believe in the seemingly impossible. I wasn't going to let the corporate world stop me because of it's lack of faith in young children as business tycoons.
As the cold winter breached my skin with a sharpness that only seals and penguins know, I was busy helping my family load the car for our annual winter vacation. I buttoned my coat a little tighter and tucked my sweater vest into my corduroy jeans to block the wind.
This was going to be a vacation to remember. We were headed to the Detroit Car Show. This is the mother of all car shows and I was going to have a front row seat as each car company unveiled their latest innovation.
We packed lightly so that we could leave room for the souvenirs we were sure to bring home.
I remember my dad yelling, "C'mon kids, let's get a move on, we don't want to miss the opening speeches, and we have 14 hour of driving ahead of us."
So we quickly finished shoving the last bit of suitcases into the cargo container that sat atop our Subaru Wagon.
"She's gonna be loaded down for this trip." I said to my dad as we hopped into the car.
"You bet son, but she's a strong car, she can handle it." He responded.
And he was right. The Subaru had gotten us through the rough years and had been almost like a 6th member of the family. There were only 4 of us in the family but we already counted our toaster as the 5th member, so the Subaru would have to settle for 6th.
We took off, and the time passed by slowly. We kept ourselves busy in the backseat with Madlibs, Tic Tac Toe, Travel Yahtzee and my personal favorite...slugbug.
Little did I know that later that day I would eat breakfast with a celebrity, witness a crime, and meet the girl that would change my life....




*That may or may not be true.

1 comment:

karla said...

You need to see, The Brave Little Toaster.