Tuesday, October 25, 2005

More Thoughts On Abortion

I knew that I'd get some feedback from my earlier post on abortion. I did, and I want to use this post just to clarify a few things that I might not have been clear on.

My goal is the same as every anti-abortion/pro-lifer. I am not advocating less legislation because I am weak in my stance against saving babies. On the contrary, I am simply wondering if the current approach is actually saving enough babies from being aborted. According to Johnstonarchive.net the most recent annual abortion figure for the U.S. is about 1.3 million. Just think about it, 1.3 million babies are ushered out of this world before they are allowed their first breath. That's unbelievable. My question than is this: Is our current main tactic in fighting against abortion working?
Well it certainly hasn't hurt. According to MCCL.org we have leveled off a bit from a peak in the 80's and even dropped slightly since then. Obviously the public outcry has done some good.
(On a side note you will notice that the abortion trend grew sharply during the feminist movement of the late 60's and early 70's.)
BUT, how effective have we been? Could we have done more?
This is my point...
I am suggesting that too many conservatives and Christians are not allocating their time and money properly in the fight against abortion. I think it's a good thing that we have judges who are conservatives who will stand up against liberal nonsense, at the same time I think we need to be focusing more on prevention. If you convince a woman that the life inside of her is precious, then you eliminate the need to fight and die on Capitol Hill. And I am convinced that we are doing nothing more than dying on that hill. We win a battle here and there..But we seem to be losing the war in trying to overturn Roe V. Wade.
I'm not saying we give up that fight. I think I may have suggested we give up all legislation in my previous post..well I take that back. We MUST continue to fight in that way but I think our main front needs to be shifted off of Washington D.C. and onto the individuals who are opting for abortion.
Also, I cannot bring myself to go out to protests where you have people there that, for a lack of a better phrase, seem to be off their rockers. The last protest I went to you had people with megaphones pointed into the abortion clinic screaming "Babies can you hear me? We are coming to save you." The answer is NO, they can't hear you.
And then of course you have those that lay in front of cars like we did at the original "summer of mercy" here in Kansas.
This is why I can't bring myself to go to these protests anymore. This is why I choose to "protest with my vote", write my congressmen, write my senators, or help out with baby needs for the Pregnancy Crisis Center.
Talk is cheap, action is better. Support your local abortion alternative center, vote, volunteer, pass out flyers, do anything to help out...And yes support judges and politicians that stand up against the atrocity of abortion.

Thanks. This is my last post on abortion for awhile..Thank goodness!

No comments: