Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Cold Hard Realities

Truth is not relative. Some atheists will say "truth is relative". They say this apparently unaware that if that is true, then the statement "truth is relative" is also relative and is therefore a self-defeating statement. Unfortunately the hedonism movement is growing out of that very statement. And also unfortunately the left in America tend to gravitate towards hedonism. Hedonism, for those of you that don't know, is a philosophy of pleasure. It basically means 'if it feels good do it'. Of course most of them end that by saying, 'unless it harms someone else'. Here is the problem with that... There are many things in this life that are wrong yet do not harm someone else. Running a stoplight at 3 in the morning when no one else is around does not harm anyone else. Stealing a cable signal doesn't harm anyone else. Stealing Wi-Fi signals doesn't harm anyone else. The main goal of the hedonist would be not to get caught. You can actually hear this philosophy in action if you listen to today's music. I have heard many many rappers rapping about cheating on women and then just denying it. "Wasn't me". This is a result of hedonism. May seem like small potatoes but it's a growing philosophy in society and frankly it kind of scares me.
I don't think truth is relative. I think right and wrong were tangible and real even before any of us were born. If there is no such thing as a right and a wrong then why are so many of us asking where God is when tragedy strikes? Why do people only believe in God when bad things happen?
I don't want my blog to turn into a philosophy blog but so much of politics has to do with religion. So often the right is referred to as the religious right. Well I think the left is just as religious. Everyone has a God whether they know it or not. It can be a God like Christ or Allah or Buddha, or it can be money, or self, or material things. Anything that consumes us can be a God. So in my opinion, and from what I can observe, the left in America has self, money, and government as their God. It's something I've talked about several times on here before.
My final question is. If for the left Government is their final cold hard reality, what then is their answer for the question of truth? What is true? What is right and what is wrong?

No comments: